Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pillow DIY

I'm not even gonna say the P-word.  Fortunately, this project began several months ago...before I knew about the P-word.  Although, I'm sure someone, somewhere has pinned this tutorial.

I found the instructions for this pillow here, at Running with Scissors.  I was getting ready for an annual craft day that hubs' cousin holds for friends and family, and looking for some free sewing tutorials.  So, since I have a total obsession with bird silhouettes, this one "spoke" to me.  Practically screamed, is more like it, really...

To make it even more enticing, she has incredibly detailed step-by-steps on the blog, and...wait for it...a download of the silhouette!  So simple!

Hers:


And mine:


I'm pretty happy with the results, considering that (1) I'm not a great seamstress and (2) I had to spitball some of the directions.  For instance, she painted the body of the tree onto her cover.  I wasn't about to do that, so I used my mad Photoshop skills on some iron transfer paper.  Never used the stuff before, and mucked it up once; nailed it the second time around. Fortunately, I had enough fabric to start over!

Also, she actually appliqued the little leaves, which is way (way) too advanced for me.  So, I chose some nice stiff fabric to cut the leaves from and just ran a double stitch down the center of each.  Worked well enough for me!  I added the little buttons for pretties, and called it done.  I can also assure you that it is perfectly square, despite this photo's knack for making it look all lopsided.

The pillow is for the nursery.  And don't worry, I won't keep it in the crib once she starts chewing on things...I know the tiny buttons are choking hazards!  In the meantime, though, it's one more little project done before she arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment